Monday 29 November 2010

The Taking Of A Toast And Tea

My paternal grandfather, it is said, was in the kitchen at 6.30 sharp every morning ruling over his teapot like a despotic and jealous mandarin.

I am also famously addicted and am invariably portrayed in the family as a dozy dormouse curled up gently sozzled among the dregs of an over-sized tea cup.Dormouse.Teacup

 

 

The last time I was in my home-town, Birmingham, U.K., I demanded not one, but two cups of the old brew which has more resonance for me than any dozen of Proust’s madeleine biscuits.

No wonder then, when dear friends from Manchester visited us in Karmiel last month they brought with them an outsized box of tea bags which I keep firmly locked in the safe bearing my name.

It can only be because I am away in relentlessly warm and sunny Israel that I missed hearing the run-up to Britain's “International ‘A Nice Cup of Tea Day’” which took place yesterday.

In Britain they (the middle class ‘they’ anyway) still take their tea and tea-time very seriously and I have discovered that “each day  day we sink 165 million cups of it. It’s our national drink – classless, timeless and tasty”.

If it’s supposed to be a classless pastime, what sort of a peasant takes Earl Grey tea with milk? It should be drunk with deepest concentration, solely black with lemon – no children, no pets – and definitely no dunking of any sort of biscuit allowed!

The feature I read listed all sorts of grand hotels where one may sit in sumptuous surroundings, enjoying a full traditional English afternoon tea with everything from thin-cut crust-less sandwiches to crumpets. Certainly I remember doing that when Brian and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary amid the fading splendour of Brighton’s Grand Metropole Hotel.

BettysAnother fab watering hole has to be Bettys at Harrogate, Yorkshire (if you can get a table!) which was opened in 1919 by Swiss confectioner Frederick Belmont. Bettys has branches elsewhere, but so far as I know they all offer a range of about 50 different teas and as many sandwiches and sticky cakes as you can eat.

Now here’s a thought: If there’s a regular market and I could stay awake long enough to put the kettle on, I might be persuaded to open an English-style tea-shop here in Karmiel and call it … “The Dormouse”.

msniw

1 comment:

Forever Living said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.